Thursday, July 17, 2008

Chicago part II

So are second day in Chicago last week was the funeral for Rick's Great Grandma. I was able to get around 5-6 hours of sleep that night, Rick only got 4 if he was lucky! Just thinking about the cleanliness and what happens in those beds is enough to make you crazy. I could only imagine getting crabs or something! So we get ready, check out, and head out for breakfast. After a quick breakfast at BK we were off to the cemetery.

Once there we called his Mom who said they (her and her fiance, Shawn) was there, looking at the deer. Deer in a cemetery in Chicago o_O? She drove around and met us so we could follow them over to where the deer were. As we were pulling up I was so surprised...a big heard of deer were just sitting in the middle of the cemetery. I dug my camera out of my purse and started snapping some shots. (I will post them at a later date...I haven't gotten around to pulling them off my camera yet) That was pretty neat and totally unexpected. Then we found out that the others were arriving shortly, so we made our way over to the reception area.

I finally got to meet Rick's biological Grandma. She seems nice. It was hot out that day, so we headed inside. Inside was neat. There was a big waterfall/plant section in the middle, a kitchen to the back, and a service area to the right. As we were standing around talking in the kitchen I noticed an empty bird cage, then low and behold, a parrot in the plans! I was surprised they actually let the bird stay out while people were there.

She seemed interested in all the people, she hopped out of the plant area and stood in the walk way for a min. Long enough to poop right on the floor! That was kinda gross! Then he proceeded to his cage to eat. What a mess!! Then she must have gotten bored or threatened by Rick's uncle because she climbed down walked over to him and grabbed his pant leg with her beak until he backed up. Then she went back to eating. A little while later she did the same thing, but was more aggressive. This time the funeral worker was around and she put the bird back in it's cage. That didn't last long. While the worker went to find twist ties the bird opened the cage door. We held it shut with a big stick until the lady got the twisties on the cage.

Then the viewing started, first they started calling all the family in one by one. I thought that was odd...why not call all family in together? Eventually we all were in and everyone talked for a while. They had some pictures of the family up. Some of these pictures had Rick in when he was a little baby, probably about 1 year old. I can honestly say he was the cutest damn baby ever!!! If we ever have a baby I certainly hope that it is that cute!

The rest of the day went on as usual. There were many conversations going on and some were more interesting than others. One that Rick and I really liked was about real Italian food. One of his extended family members started talking about a dish called Polenta. He told us good stories about making it and all the different things you could put into it. It sounds very good and we are all going to be invited down to have this member of the family make it for us! The pastor got on a lot of the family's nerves. He would just blurt Amen out in the middle of sentences and as Rick's Mom said he sounded like he was trying to sell church to everyone. After the burial we were kind of rushed back to the reception area as the workers were standing right there waiting for everyone to clear out so they could bury the casket. That was kinda tasteless I thought. And during the service out there they were standing there talking to each other. Not cool!

After returning to the hall everyone started to clear out. As everyone was preparing to leave I got to talk to Rick's Grandma alone. She informed me that she wanted a "real" Great Grandchild. She told me that she will have Shawn's daughter's baby as a "foster" (I think she meant step) Great Grand baby, but she wanted a real one that came from Ricky. I told her we'd see about that. Then she told me what I need to do:

1. Have lots of sex
2. Enjoy the sex
3. Don't worry about it because she had a conversation with the Lord and told him to give us a baby because she wants a real great grandchild

I got a kick out of that conversation!

By this point my feet were killing me. This was the first time I was wearing these shoes, and they were heels. Much taller heels than I am used to. So I headed to the car to change into my tennies! As we were saying our goodbyes we got to talking with Rick's aunt Tina. She's so sweet! She told Rick she was so glad he met me and that I was so nice and how she couldn't wait for us to get married and have babies! Kinda felt a little pressure that day! Then we all said our goodbyes and went on the long journey home. We sat in stop and go traffic for about 3 hours until we got to WI. Once we hit the last toll the sky got really dark and it started pouring really hard but we made it. Then had a nice dinner at Olive Garden with Rick's Mom and Shawn. All in all it was a good day ~ nice people, nice conversation, and no work!

1 comment:

rage said...
This comment has been removed by the author.