Thursday, October 16, 2008

Vacation

I'm on vacation this week. Not going anywhere or doing anything special. I just had 3 vacation days left prior to my 3 yr mark and REALLY needed a break from the "special" place I work at. Somehow I thought that the purpose of a vacation is to be away from work. Apparently not for me.

I understand in my position I may need to be called if something happened like servers failed. However, if it's not an emergency I should not be called. Well, this afternoon I was working on hanging a new set of blinds (which really sucked b/c of the angle). I hear my phone ring and go to answer it. It's my boss. I hit ignore so it'll go to voicemail right away. He calls back 2 more times, then finally leaves a message. Apparently he's scheduled me to go with him to visit 2 of our districts on Monday. One of which threatened to look at other vendors if they're not fixed on Monday when he comes. Therefore I have to go.

Here's my stance: when your only IT person comes back from a 3 day vacation you should probably keep them in the office. That's just me. Plus you should give them a day back in the office so you don't have to call them while they're on vacation. Apparently though that's not how things work at my "special" place of employment. If only the economy were a bit better...I'd look for a new job in a heart beat then.

Sigh. Is 2:30 too early to have an appletini?

No comments: