Friday, January 9, 2009

One clever pup

My little puppy Bella is quite clever I found out! While we were visiting my Parents for Christmas a friend took her for the weekend. While she was at their house she somehow got out of the kitchen without moving the gate or the chair on the opposite side of the gate. Lord only knows how she managed that one. At 25 lbs you'd think she would have moved the gate if she climbed it.

Last night I discovered she's learned how to get into the cat room. We put the gate in the door way so that it leaves about 3-4 inches at the bottom so the cats can get under it, but the dog can't. However, she's been getting in the room and eating their food somehow. Well, last night she happened to wake me up while eating the food. When I told her to get out she crawled under the gate and I readjusted it, making it a little lower. No more than 30 min. later I hear her messing with the gate. So I take a look and here she has her head under the gate and is trying to push it up enough so she can squeeze under it! That little turkey!!!

Now I must devise another plan to keep her from eating the cat food. I'm thinking about putting a table in there next to the cat tree so the cats have easy access to get to it but the dog can't reach. I'm just happy that she seems to be over her "I need to mark this room" phase (knock on wood)!

I'm sure I'll have many more adventures in the future. She really is a good pup and catches on to things SO quick! In puppy kindergarten she would have the hang of new things within 3 attempts! However, she's a Mommy's girl and will not listen to Rick....could be his method of yelling at her instead of positive reinforcement like I use. She will do anything for a treat...except roll over. :P

No comments: